I love to read and to write. I hope that’s why you’re here because then we’re certain to be kindred spirits. The first thing I ever had published was a poem I wrote in grade three called Fairyland and it went like this:I would like to go to Fairyland
And when I did, I would say strike up the band!
And when they did, we’d dance
And when it was twelve o’clock, we’d romance!
I’m not sure I knew much about romance back in grade three. But I like to think that little poem was the start of something big - a life-long love affair with words, language and story. These are the magic ingredients that make life worth living.
So, kindred spirits, welcome to my Fairyland, I’m so glad you’re here.
Quick facts about me:
- I’ve had six books published (you can read all about them on my “Books” page).
- I write for adults, kids and young adults.
- I edited a home magazine for 12 years (although I’m the least “decoratey” person you might ever want to meet).
- I hate housework.
- I was a finalist for the Toronto Sun’s column-writing contest.
- My third book, Casey Little Yo-Yo Queen was the honour book in the Silver Birch Awards (first runner up!). It’s been translated into Swedish and Finnish.
- I was one of twelve writers from across Canada chosen to participate in the second season of Book TV’s Three-Day Novel contest reality show – which means I lived in a Chapters bookstore in Edmonton over a Labour Day weekend and wrote an entire novel in three days. Oh, the shenanigans!
- I’ve lived in Victoria and Toronto and Windsor. I’ve moved a lot. A LOT. I counted it once: 26 times. Moving and fitting-in is something I pay great deal of attention to in my stories. You might say it’s a theme.
- I have done some acting – mostly in TV commercials.
- I love to cook.
- Writing workshops for children and adults are a passion. Contact me if you would like to get something rolling for your classroom or writers’ group.
Let’s get scrolling!